The Special Ed Parent Advisory Council is pleased to present Patty and Gina, imperfect sisters, and authors of Shut Up About Your Perfect Kid, A Survival Guide for Ordinary Parents of Special Children and creators of The Movement of Imperfection. Designed for caregivers of special children, this humorous, heartwarming 90-minute workshop is based on their best selling book. Using hilarious anecdotes and fun exercises (no Spandex required), the sisters will show attendees how to let go of the expectations they have for their children and embrace the reality.
- Does the school principal have your family’s phone number on speed dial?
- Are you on a first-name basis with your pharmacist?
- Do you carry noise cancelling headphones in your purse?
- Do you host parades when your child tries a new food?
- Does “date night” with your spouse consist of couple’s therapy?
- Does your idea of a “beauty day” consist of one in which you’ve combed your hair?”
If you answered “Yes” to any of these questions, you’ve come to the right imperfect place.
In addition to sharing the same sense of humor, cramped childhood bedroom, and the habit of talking about themselves in the third person, Gina Gallagher and Patricia Konjoian are sisters and among the growing number of parents raising children with disabilities. Gina’s daughter, Katie, has Asperger’s syndrome and Patty’s daughter Jennifer has bipolar disorder.